There are many volunteer opportunities available throughout the City of Lakewood. Whether you want to volunteer in an office, deliver meals to the elderly, serve on one of the City’s Boards and Commissions or volunteer for one of the wonderful community organizations here in Lakewood, there is something for everyone. We want you to get involved!
Featured Volunteer Opportunity
The American Red Cross, a humanitarian organization led by volunteers and people, guided by its Congressional Charter and the Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross Movement, will provide relief to victims of disasters and help people prevent, prepare for, and respond to emergencies.
The following is a list of typical Red Cross volunteer opportunities for your consideration:
- Board Members: Serve on local boards and help with fundraising and marketing programs. Be the face of the Red Cross in your community and ensure we are serving your community well.
- Volunteer Management: Assist with volunteer recruitment, placement, record keeping and recognition.
- Disaster Services: Provide food, shelter, comfort and home for families affected by major disasters such as fire, hurricanes and tornadoes.
- Disaster Action Team: Volunteers need to respond to single-family fires with a disaster action team supervisor.
- Disaster Preparedness Presenter: Educate individuals and groups on how to be prepared before a disaster occurs.
- Be Red Cross Ready Volunteer: Take the 10 minute quiz and prepare your family with your own disaster plan and kit.
- Hospital Volunteer: Lend a hand to patients at Veterans Administration and military hospitals.
- School Clubs: Students and teachers from elementary school through college lead Red Cross school clubs.
- Health and Safety Instructor: Teach community classes such as CPR, First Aid and water safety to children and adults.
- Babysitting Course Instructor: Become certified and teach American Red Cross Babysitting courses to teenagers.
- First Aid Team: First Aid and CPR volunteers staff special events throughout the year.
- Armed Forces Caseworker: Ensure delivery of emergency communications for members of the military and their families.
- Blood Donor Recruiter: Work with individuals, groups and companies to recruit blood donors and promote blood drives.
- Blood Drive Volunteer: Greet and register blood donors.
- Volunteer Driver: Pick up donated blood units from a blood drive and deliver to the laboratory to be thoroughly tested and then sent to the hospital.
- International Tracing Services: Assist in the international search for persons living overseas, in war-torn countries or thought to be living in your community.
- Language Bank Volunteer: Utilize your language skills to translate.
- Grant Researching/Writing: Assist the fundraising team as they write and execute grants.
- Thank a Donor: Make calls to thank Red Cross financial donors.
- Speakers: Provide presentations about Red Cross programs in the community.
- Public Affairs: During disasters, tell the Red Cross story to your community
- Social Media Volunteer: Be an online advocate and tell the mission of the Red Cross
- Clerical: Assist with administrative tasks.
- Staff Support: Help with routine maintenance duties such as stocking supplies and checking inventory at shelters.
- Special Events: Support fundraising and special events.
For more information, email Northeast Ohio Volunteer or call 216-431-3328